Welcome back for Spring 2011 Semester! We have added a couple new Connect classes and still have openings in the classes listed below, if you missed signing up before the holidays. Please contact us at email@example.com , if you have any questions. Thank you.
ITaP Academic Technologies
Accessible Web Design
This session will focus on some of the most common accessibility problems and how to correct them using appropriate HTML code. At the end of the session, you will be able to improve accessibility of your pages by:
- using headings for document structure
- including appropriate alt text on all images and image maps
- designing with color blindness in mind
- explicitly associating form labels with form fields
- designating row and column headers in data tables
Classes offered through February. Register for this course.
Prerequisites: Knowledge of HTML coding.
Adobe Connect Web Conferencing, Collaboration, and Teaching Online
This course is intended for Purdue University staff, grad staff and faculty who are interested in conducting web conferences to teach a live online class, or to collaborate with other colleagues around the campus or the world.
Friday, January 14, 2011; 10:00-11:30am Register for this course.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011; 1:30-3:00pm Register for this course.
Blackboard: Getting Started
This hands-on, 90-minute class will teach you all of the basics to create and prepare your class with the most commonly-used tools in Blackboard Vista. In this workshop, you will:
- Access your Blackboard class.
- Troubleshoot common browser problems.
- Customize your Blackboard user profile.
- Navigate the Blackboard interface.
- Describe the roles in Blackboard.
- Add tools to the Course Menu.
- Edit headers and footers.
- Add and edit a syllabus in Blackboard.
- Create links to Web Resources.
- Upload files using the File Manager.
- Create and organize content in Folders and Learning Modules.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011; 1:30-3:00pm Register for this course.
Blackboard: Mastering the Grade Book
This class will teach you everything you need to know to maintain your grades in Blackboard securely and privately, including distribution of grades to your students. After this workshop, you will be able to:
- Explain the views available in the Grade Book.
- Manage enrollment and access to your class.
- Create and modify columns for storing or calculating data.
- Enter or override grades and view audit history.
- Make grades available to students.
- Import and export grades.
- Explain Instructional Data Processing (IDP) grading options.
- Submit Blackboard grades directly to the registrar.
Thursday, January 20, 2011; 1:30-2:30pm Register for this course.
Prerequisites: Blackboard Getting Started
How to Use Hotseat
This workshop will review how to use Hotseat – how students will use it, how to use it, and how to generate reports. We will also discuss practical use in class based on the way it has been used here at Purdue. The workshop will take place in a computer lab, so participants can experience using Hotseat and the features of the tool.
Thursday, January 13, 2011; 2:00-3:00pm Register for this course.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011; 1:30-2:30pm Register for this course.
SharePoint 2007 Permissions Basics
This hands-on course will discuss the basics of setting permissions on Microsoft SharePoint 2007. Important skills for anyone who has site ownership!
Topics to be included:
• Inheriting permission on SharePoint sub-sites
• Breaking permissions on sub-sites
• Changing permissions after a sub-site has been created
• Re-inheriting permissions
• Creating unique permission levels
Monday, January 31, 2011; 1:30-5:00pm Register for this course.
Prerequisite: Prior mastery of the content covered in the basics class or past attendance to the basics class, “Using SharePoint 2007 Efficiently”, is required before attending this course.